Hernias occur when the intestines or some other damaged or weakened abdominal part protrudes through the muscle wall. To repair hernias, surgeons for the last decade have used surgical mesh.
Initially, these meshes were considered to be effective; however, questions have emerged about their safety soon after their release in the market.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration since March 2010 have subjected some surgical mesh products to recall as they have been shown to be associated with some serious life threatening complications.
Some of the most prevalent injuries that have been the concern for the attorneys as hernia surgery complications are:
- Adhesions – scar tissue forming between bodily tissues that can lead to digestive problems, chronic pain and bowel obstruction
- Bowel obstruction – a blockage of the small or large intestines can constrict blood flow
- Intestinal perforation – bowel perforation happens when the mesh erodes through the tissues or punctures it. It causes peritonitis and sepsis
- Mesh rejection – it happens when the body’s immune system is triggered leading to inflammatory response
Many of the risks of adhesions linked with the surgical mesh were not disclosed to physicians or patients before they were being implanted with it. In the past years, the harmful effects of the hernia mesh came into picture when more and more patients are developing adhesions and complaining about them.
The victims of the defective mesh implant can file for lawsuit and claim for damage award the following:
- ongoing and the future medical costs
- loss of wages
- inability or decreased chance to earn in future
- cost for the emotional difficulties, pain and suffering
- cost of emergency hospitalization
The brands that have been recalled:
- R. Bard
- Johnson & Johnson
- Endo International plc
- Boston Scientific
To find out whether your case is entitled for financial compensation, get in touch with the experts of the meshhernia.com team. Find out more about how they can help to achieve the damage awards from the mesh lawsuits, visit https://meshhernia.com/. Dial 855-817-3922 to schedule a free appointment with the experts and get a free evaluation of your case.